So you’re considering a new career as a real estate agent in Michigan. Congratulations! Your first step is to choose from one of the many MI real estate schools where you can complete the 40 hours of prelicensing education required by the state.
Let us help! We’ve researched real estate schools in Michigan to provide you with an in-depth guide to their offerings, features, and strengths. We’ll share our recommendations to help you choose the right one for your schedule, timeline, and learning style.
5 Best Michigan Real Estate Schools for 2023
|Our Top Picks|
|Best Overall: Colibri Real Estate|
|Best for Online: Aceable Agent|
|Best for Career Advice: Kaplan|
|Best for Live Stream Classes: Michigan Institute of Real Estate|
|Best Continuing Education: The CE Shop|
(Michigan prelicensing package prices as of September 2023)
Michigan Real Estate Governing Body:
Licensing & Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
Continuing Education Requirements:
19 Hours Every 3 Years
If you want to know the types of classes that you’ll need to take throughout your real estate career in Michigan, simply jump into the helpful info section. But if you’re ready to choose the right school for your needs, keep reading and find out why we’ve selected these as our top choices.
Best Overall MI Real Estate School: Colibri Real Estate
Colibri Real Estate Offers:
- Exam prep
The main reason we like Colibri Real Estate is its easy-to-follow format. The essential material is repeated often, so you’ve ample opportunities to learn it. If you have problems with a particular topic, you can email or call your instructor to receive further explanation of the content.
Colibri Real Estate Pricing
In Michigan, Colibri Real Estate offers five prelicensing course packages.
- The Basics ($206): This entry-level package is the perfect choice for someone who’s a disciplined self-starter. It comes with your 40-hour prelicensing course, three real estate e-books, and instructor access via email.
- Exam Preparation ($284): Aside from everything in The Basics, you’ll also receive simulated exams, audio review guides, and flashcards to help you study.
- Exam Preparation Plus ($342): You’ll receive everything in the previous packages and 40 hours per month of live access to instructors.
- Ultimate Learning ($456): Students will receive everything in the previous package plus a one-year professional development program membership. You’ll also receive a printed textbook instead of the e-book provided in the previous three packages.
- Live Stream Learning ($422): Take your classes during Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and receive all the features of the Ultimate Learning package with a live instructor online.
(Colibri Real Estate prelicensing package prices as of September 2023)
Readers of The Close can SAVE 25% on any Colibri Real Estate prelicensing course. Use promo code TheClose25 at checkout.
Our favorite feature of Colibri Real Estate is its easy-to-follow format. Since the company provides online real estate instruction for most of the states in the country, they have it down to a science. The course is comprehensive, but the material is presented so that even a real estate novice can understand it.
Room to Improve
Most users were happy with their experience with Colibri Real Estate, but it’s not the perfect choice for everyone. Some complained that the material was introduced on text-heavy slides that presented too much information at once.
Colibri Real Estate is affordable, easy to navigate, and allows you to work through the material at your own pace. Sign up for one of their five packages today to get started on your new career.
Best MI Real Estate School for Online: Aceable Agent
Aceable Agent Offers:
- Exam prep
The main benefit of enrolling with Aceable Agent is that you don’t have to be tied to your laptop or desktop computer to get through the material. Aceable Agent’s Apple and Android apps allow you to learn while you’re waiting in line at the grocery store. Once you return to your computer, you can continue with the material seamlessly.
Aceable Agent Pricing
In MI, Aceable Agent offers three prelicensing education packages for aspiring real estate agents.
- Basic ($179): With this straightforward course, you’ll enjoy a completely self-paced course. You’ll also get instructor support, “lite” exam prep with more than 1,000 practice questions, and a course on how to find the right broker.
- Deluxe ($299): You’ll get everything in the previous package plus access to 75 videos, 70 audio lessons, “deluxe” exam prep materials with almost 1,700 practice questions, and a real estate exam prep e-book.
- Premium ($399): Enjoy everything in the previous package plus an hour of private tutoring with a real estate pro, five live webinars per week, and access to an archive of webinars plus a live stream Q&A where you can ask questions that are on your mind.
(Aceable Agent prelicensing package prices as of September 2023)
Click our Aceable Agent link today to SAVE 25% on its Michigan prelicensing course package.
You know how clunky it feels to visit a website from your phone that’s not mobile-friendly. That’s why Aceable Agent designed their program with an easy-to-use app. Switch back and forth from your laptop to your phone to get through all the course material, or you can choose not to use a computer at all.
Also, Aceable Agent’s instructional material includes a summary at the end of each level so you can do a quick self-check to make sure you’ve retained the essential information. We like their Deluxe Exam Prep, which will prepare you for the state and national parts of the test. If you miss something on the practice test, you’ll receive more instruction on that material so you won’t get the question wrong when it counts.
Room to Improve
Once students become comfortable working within a specific company’s format, they often return to the same school for continuing education courses. Unfortunately, this isn’t an option for Michigan real estate agents using Aceable. Currently, Aceable Agent only offers continuing education courses for agents in Texas, Georgia, and New York. Even if you like Aceable Agent’s format, you’ll have to familiarize yourself with another school’s program to earn your continuing ed credits.
If you want the flexibility to work through your prelicensing coursework at your own pace, consider trying Aceable Agent.
Can You Be a Part-time Real Estate Agent? (+ Free Guide & Videos)
Best MI Real Estate School for Career Advice: Kaplan
- Exam prep
- Continuing education
Kaplan has been helping students pass tests since 1938. Even though real estate has undoubtedly changed since then, the company offers a wide variety of online real estate courses. All of Kaplan’s course materials were crafted by top industry professionals, so you can trust that you’re ready come time for your license exam.
Even though Kaplan offers three prelicensing packages, we recommend the Career Launcher Package. Let’s learn about what each of the packages includes.
- Michigan Real Estate Fundamentals ($179): This online course includes the 40 hours of instruction required by the state. It also includes unit exams to help you identify areas that need additional study.
- Michigan Real Estate Fundamentals with Exam Prep ($199): This Kaplan package includes 40 hours of instruction, practice exams, instructor access via email, and access to an online, interactive study group.
- Career Launcher Package ($399): Besides everything from the previous two packages, you’ll also receive an eight-hour intensive training course and eight weeks of professional coaching. You’ll not only learn how to pass the Michigan real estate exam, but you’ll also learn how to succeed in your career.
(Kaplan prelicensing package pricing as of September 2023)
Readers of The Close can SAVE 5% on any Kaplan prelicensing course in Michigan. Use promo code KAPRE5 at checkout.
Most real estate companies are focused on helping you pass the test, which is why they don’t cover the topics that will make you successful in your business. That’s why we love Kaplan’s Career Launcher.
The format is worth mentioning too. Instead of giving you an online slideshow that showcases successful business strategies, you’ll learn from real, live agents from the comfort of your home. You’ll not only benefit from seasoned instructors, but you’ll also be able to interact with other students. Learn about the real estate industry in your area of Michigan by talking with people going through the same process as you.
Room to Improve
In the past, Kaplan was known for providing live classroom experiences for students studying real estate, but its basic education offerings are all at your own pace. While we’re sure it’s much more cost-effective to offer only online self-paced courses, some students need in-person interactions to learn.
Jump-start your career with the top-tier package offered by Kaplan. Even though this is the most expensive course we’ve suggested so far, we feel that the practical knowledge you’ll learn from their Career Launcher program is worth the extra cost.
Best MI Real Estate School for Live Classes: Michigan Institute of Real Estate
Michigan Institute of Real Estate Offers:
- Continuing education
- Broker prelicensing
Michigan Institute of Real Estate has been educating local real estate agents since 1985. They offer three different instructional methods that all cover the same 40 hours of material. Like the other schools in our buyer’s guide, Michigan Institute of Real Estate offers an online course that you can complete at your own pace, but they also offer a home study program for people who prefer printed materials over online instruction.
In addition to their home study course offering, Michigan Institute of Real Estate made our list because they provide in-person and livestream classes for people who want to learn from a live instructor.
Michigan Institute of Real Estate Pricing
Here’s the breakdown of Michigan Institute of Real Estate’s five prelicensing packages:
- Online Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course – Basic ($295): This package includes narrated slides you can access from a computer, laptop, or mobile device. It also includes a video cram course to help you study for the exam, an e-book, and a one-on-one coaching session.
- Online Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course – Premium ($395): For an additional $100, this includes everything in the previous package, a physical copy of the test preparation book, and an exam prep program with more than 500 practice questions.
- In-person or Virtual Classroom Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course ($355): Attend the 40 hours of prelicensing courses in either an actual classroom in Ann Arbor, Flint, or Oak Park, or view it live, online from your computer at home. The package also includes a textbook, real estate key points, math sheet, webinar recordings, and a six-hour continuing education class.
- Home Study Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course – Basic ($349): If you don’t enjoy following a specific schedule, you may prefer this package. It includes a textbook, instructional CDs and DVDs, a video cram course, a one-on-one coaching session, and a six-hour real estate class.
- Home Study Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course – Premium ($449): This includes everything in the previous package, an exam prep program with more than 500 practice questions, and flashcards.
(Michigan Institute of Real Estate prelicensing package pricing as of September 2023)
One of the most common criticisms of self-paced classes is that the material is too dull to get through on your own. If your eyes begin to glaze over when reading about types of mortgages or real estate law, you may benefit from a live instructor who’s had lots of professional experience.
Finding live prelicensing classes is increasingly difficult. That’s why we were happy to discover Michigan Institute of Real Estate’s in-person and live stream options. With live online instruction, you still have the benefit of learning from home, but you’ll hear about real-life examples from an actual agent. Anecdotes, examples, and stories work remarkably as learning tools to help you understand complicated material.
Room to Improve
While we appreciate that the school offers the state-required instruction in several different formats, the online class is rather pricey compared to other options on our list.
Check out Michigan Institute of Real Estate. They are the only locally owned institution on our list, and their live, online class format may appeal to your learning style.
Best MI Real Estate School for Continuing Education: The CE Shop
The CE Shop Offers:
- Exam prep
- Continuing education
It only makes sense that our best school for continuing education courses is The CE Shop. After all, continuing education is part of their name. The CE Shop offers a wide variety of classes for practicing real estate agents. That means you can stick with them throughout your career as an agent.
The CE Shop Pricing
In Michigan, The CE Shop offers four prelicensing packages to choose from:
- Courses Only ($209): Perfect for the student who is self-motivated and studies well with practice materials, this package includes the 40-hour prelicensing course, business e-books, digital flashcards, a glossary, and customizable study schedule.
- Standard Package ($295): You’ll receive everything in the Courses Only package plus Exam Prep Edge, which offers national and state practice exams.
- Value Package ($325): Students will receive everything from the Standard Package plus business-building courses to set themselves up for success.
- Premium Package ($455): Get all of your real estate continuing education courses for the next four years with this package. You’ll receive everything from the previous package plus 18 hours of CE classes.
(The CE Shop prelicensing package prices as of September 2023)
SAVE 35% at The CE Shop. Use promo code TheClose35 at checkout.
When you take your prelicensing courses, you have no choice in what topics you cover. But after you become a licensed real estate agent, you can choose some of your license renewal courses. The CE Shop offers a wide range of courses, including Working With Real Estate Investors, Real Estate Auctions, and Growing Green in Real Estate.
Room to Improve
While most of the reviews are generally favorable, some complained about the test prep material. How this affects you will depend on how many extra exam resources you feel you’ll need when it comes time to prepare for the license exam.
Thanks to its free trial, there’s no risk in checking out The CE Shop. You’ll get great value for your money with all the bonus features included even in their most basic package.
How We Selected the Best Real Estate Schools in MI
To ensure that our readers land on one of the best real estate schools in Michigan, we came up with a weighted rubric that involved scoring each school according to the following criteria:
Read more about our methodology here.
MI Real Estate Schools: Helpful Info
It’s important to know that your real estate education doesn’t end with your 40 hours of prelicensing class requirements. Most states have additional requirements so that you can keep pace in your new career, and Michigan is no different. Here are the types of course offerings you can expect to find at both local and national real estate schools.
You’ll be required to take your 40 hours of prelicensing courses at a state-approved Michigan real estate school. They cover a range of topics that deal with national and state-specific real estate issues.
If you’re not entirely clear on the process of becoming an agent in Michigan, be sure to read our article, How to Get a Michigan Real Estate License in 4 Easy Steps.
Exam Preparation Courses
After taking your 40 hours of prelicensing courses, you must take and pass a state licensing exam. Most real estate licensing exams aren’t a walk in the park, and you may need additional exam prep materials before sitting for the exam.
Many of the Michigan real estate schools on our list include exam prep classes as part of their prelicensing packages, while others may offer standalone exam prep packages.
Continuing Education Courses
In order to renew your Michigan real estate license every four years, you’ll need to take an additional 19 hours of continuing education courses each renewal period.
MI Real Estate Schools FAQs
Do you have more questions about Michigan real estate schools? We’ve got you covered with answers to our most frequently asked questions below. If there’s something we haven’t covered in this article, be sure to leave your question in the comment section.
Can I get my Michigan real estate license online?
Yes, mostly. You can complete the longest part of the process to getting your real estate license—your prelicensing course—online, through either self-paced or live stream classes. You will have to take the exam in person, but you can complete the application for your exam and your license online.
How much does it cost to get my real estate license in Michigan?
It costs roughly $400 to get your real estate license in Michigan. This includes the cost of your prelicensing course and the exam fees. Your cost will vary depending on the school you choose for your prelicensing course.
The schools on our list charge between $180 and $500 for prelicensing courses. You will have to decide what kinds of features you need in your prelicensing package, such as extra exam prep, real estate math courses, and instructor support.
How long does it take to get my real estate license in Michigan?
You can get your Michigan real estate license in as little as a month, though most people take three to four months. Scheduled live stream classes run full time and you can complete your prelicensing course in a week with Colibri Real Estate. You will need to study for and take the license exam. How long that takes you depends on how prepared you feel to take the test.
How hard is the Michigan real estate license exam?
You’ll need to answer 70% of the questions correctly to pass the Michigan real estate exam. Pass rates aren’t published by the licensing department, but many online schools publish the pass rates of their former students.
How many Realtors are there in Michigan?
According to the National Association of Realtors’ data, there are 36,172 Realtors in Michigan. This is a very slight increase from the previous month, and about a 0.9% decrease from last year.
How much do real estate agents make in Michigan?
It all depends on the number of deals and the commission splits, but according to The Close’s salary information database, the average real estate agent in Michigan makes $66,342.
What’s the average home price in Michigan?
According to Zillow, the home values in Michigan are up 2.7% from last year, coming in right at $237,028. Wealthier enclaves, like Bloomfield Hills, have home values hovering near $591,786.
Real Estate Broker vs. Agent: A Head-to-Head Analysis
Bringing It All Together
There’s a lot to consider when choosing a Michigan real estate school. Hopefully, our buyer’s guide will help you choose and start your real estate career on the right foot. We are here for you at every stage of your real estate career! Have additional thoughts, advice, or questions? Leave a comment below!