You’re considering a new career as a real estate agent in Michigan. Congratulations! Your first step is to choose a Michigan real estate school where you can complete the required 40 hours of prelicensing education required by the state.
Let us help! We’ve researched real estate schools in Michigan to provide you with an in-depth guide to their offerings, features, and strengths. We’ll share our recommendations to help you choose the right one for your schedule, timeline, and learning style.
5 Best Michigan Real Estate Schools for 2022
|Our Top Picks|
|Best Overall: Real Estate Express|
|Best for Mobile: Aceable Agent|
|Best for Career Advice: Kaplan|
|Best for Livestream Classes: Michigan Institute of Real Estate|
|Best Continuing Education: The CE Shop|
(Michigan prelicensing package prices as of December 2021)
Enrolling in a Michigan Real Estate School – Helpful Info
It’s important to know that your real education doesn’t end with your 40 hours of prelicensing class requirements. Most states have additional requirements so that you can keep pace in your new career. Here are the types of course offerings you can expect to find at a Michigan real estate school.
Prelicensing courses must be taken at a state-approved Michigan real estate school. They cover a range of topics that deal with national and state-specific real estate issues. In Michigan, anyone wishing to sit for the state licensing exam must first complete 40 hours of prelicensing classes.
If you’re not entirely clear on the process of becoming an agent in Michigan, be sure to read our article How to Get a Michigan Real Estate License in 4 Easy Steps.
Exam Preparation Courses
After taking your 40 hours of prelicensing courses, you must take and pass a state licensing exam. Most real estate licensing exams aren’t a walk in the park, and you may need additional exam prep materials before sitting for the exam.
The Michigan real estate schools on our list may include exam prep classes as part of their prelicensing packages while others may offer standalone exam prep packages.
Continuing Education Courses
You’ll need to renew your Michigan real estate license every four years, which will require you to take an additional 18 hours of continuing education courses for each renewal period.
You’ll need to find a Michigan real estate school that can not only fulfill your prelicensing course requirements—but also one that will help you study for the exam and ideally, meet your continuing education course requirements. Here are our recommendations.
Best Overall Michigan Real Estate School: Real Estate Express
Real Estate Express Offers:
- Prelicensing courses
Real Estate Express is the best choice for an online real estate school in Michigan for many reasons. The school is extremely affordable. You can get started in your new career for as little as $179 (and the packages are often on sale!).
The main reason we like Real Estate Express is its easy-to-follow format. The essential material is repeated often, so you’ve ample opportunities to learn it. If you have problems with a particular topic, you can email or call your instructor to receive further explanation on the content.
The affordability, easy-to-follow format, and instructor support make Real Estate Express our top pick. Let’s learn more about the four packages they offer so that you can sign up for one today.
Real Estate Express Pros
Real Estate Express Cons
Real Estate Express Pricing
Real Estate Express offers four prelicensing course packages.
- The Basics $179: This entry-level package is the perfect choice for someone who’s a disciplined self-starter or has some real estate experience.
- Exam Preparation Package $238: Students will receive the 40 hours of prelicensing content that comes with The Basics package. You’ll also receive 10 progress exams, five practice exams, and flashcards to help you study. This package’s Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee will allow you to receive a refund on the course’s cost if you don’t pass it the first time you take it.
- Exam Preparation Plus $305: You’ll receive everything in the previous two packages and have 40 hours per month of live access to instructors with Exam Prep Plus.
- Ultimate Learning Package $394: Students will receive everything in the previous package, plus a one-year membership with McKissock, a professional development company. This membership will allow you to knock out your continuing education requirements. You’ll also receive a printed course textbook instead of the e-book provided in the other three packages.
(Real Estate Express prelicensing package pricing as of December 2021)
BEST FEATURES: Our favorite feature of Real Estate Express is its easy-to-follow format. Since the company provides online real estate instruction for most of the states in the country, they have it down to a science. The course is comprehensive, but the material is presented so that even a real estate novice can understand it.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: Most users were happy with their experience with Real Estate Express, but it’s not the perfect choice for everyone. Real Estate Express may not be the best option if you prefer to learn by listening to an instructor. Some complained that the material is introduced on text-heavy slides that presented too much information at once.
BOTTOM LINE: Real Estate Express is affordable, easy to navigate, and allows you to work through the material at your own pace. Sign up for one of their four packages today to get started on your new career.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for Mobile: Aceable Agent
Aceable Agent Offers:
- Prelicensing courses
- Continuing education
The main benefit of enrolling with Aceable Agent is that you don’t have to be tied to your laptop or desktop computer to get through the material. Aceable Agent’s Apple or Android app allows you to learn while you’re waiting in line at the grocery store. Once you return to your computer, you can continue with the material seamlessly.
Aceable Agent’s instructional material includes a summary at the end of each level so you can do a quick self-check to make sure you’ve retained the essential information. We also like their Ultimate Exam Prep Guide, which will prepare you for the state and national parts of the test. If you miss a question on the practice test, you’ll receive more instruction on that material so you won’t miss the question when it counts.
Like Real Estate Express, Aceable Agent feels pretty confident in their instructional materials, also offering a money-back guarantee if you don’t pass the test on your first attempt.
Aceable Agent Pros
Aceable Agent Cons
Aceable Agent Pricing
Aceable Agent only offers three prelicensing education packages for aspiring Michigan real estate agents.
- Basic Package ($194): With this straightforward course, you’ll enjoy a completely self-paced, LARA-approved learning experience with instructor support, “lite” exam prep, and free online exam proctoring.
- Deluxe Package ($300): You’ll get everything in the previous package, plus access to 75 videos, 70 audio lessons, “deluxe” exam prep materials, and a real estate exam prep e-book.
- Premium Package ($450): Enjoy everything in the previous package, plus an hour of private tutoring with a real estate pro, five live webinars per week, access to an archive of webinars, plus a live-streamed Q&A on “Facebook Fridays” where you can ask questions that are on your mind.
(Aceable Agent prelicensing package pricing as of December 2021)
FAVORITE FEATURES: You know how clunky it feels to visit a website from your phone that’s not mobile-friendly. That’s why Aceable Agent designed their program with an easy-to-use app. Switch back and forth from your laptop to your phone to get through all the course material, or you can choose not to use a computer at all.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: Once students become comfortable working within a specific company’s format, they often return to the same school for continuing education courses. Unfortunately, this isn’t an option for Michigan real estate agents. Currently, Aceable Agent only offers post-licensing courses for agents in Texas and New York. Even if you like Aceable Agent’s format, you’ll have to familiarize yourself with another school’s program to earn your continuing ed credits.
BOTTOM LINE: Students are impressed with Aceable Agent’s easy-to-understand format and mobile app. If you want the flexibility to work through your prelicensing coursework at your own pace, consider trying Aceable Agent.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for Career Advice: Kaplan
- Prelicensing courses
- Exam prep
- Continuing education
Kaplan has been helping students pass tests since 1938. Even though real estate has undoubtedly changed since then, the company has kept up with technology and offers a wide variety of online real estate courses.
We can say many good things about Kaplan, but we especially appreciate how committed they are to helping students succeed in their real estate career after passing the exam. Their Career Launcher Package is pricey, but it includes the 40 hours of prelicensing courses, state and national PSI test prep, and a live online course that provides practical information about running a real estate business.
This livestreaming online course is called Real Estate Accelerator, and it was designed to help you succeed in your career. You’ll learn business and marketing strategies from some of the nation’s most successful real estate agents. Since the class is live online, you’ll be able to interact with your instructor to ask specific questions about growing your own business.
Even though Kaplan offers three prelicensing packages, we recommend the Career Launcher Package. Let’s learn about what each of the packages includes.
- Michigan Real Estate Fundamentals $179: This online course includes the 40 hours of instruction required by the state. It also includes unit exams to help you identify areas that need additional study.
- Michigan Real Estate Fundamentals with Master Exam Prep Package $199: Do you want to take a few practice exams before taking the test that counts? This Kaplan package includes the 40 hours of instruction, practice exams, instructor access via email, and a live online, interactive study group.
- Career Launcher Package $399: Besides receiving everything from the previous two packages, you’ll also receive an eight-hour intensive training course and eight weeks of professional coaching. You’ll not only learn how to pass the Michigan real estate exam, but you’ll also learn how to succeed in your career.
(Kaplan prelicensing package pricing as of December 2021)
FAVORITE FEATURES: Most real estate companies do not cover the topics that will make you successful in your business. That’s why we love Kaplan’s Career Launcher. Instead of giving you an online slideshow that showcases successful business strategies, you’ll learn from real, live agents from the comfort of your home computer.
You’ll not only be able to learn from the seasoned instructors, but you’ll also be able to interact with the other students. Learn about the real estate industry in your area of Michigan by talking with people going through the same process as you.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: In the past, Kaplan was known for providing live classroom experiences for students studying real estate. While we’re sure it’s much more cost-effective to offer only online courses, we understand that some students need in-person interactions to learn.
BOTTOM LINE: Jump-start your career with the top-tier package offered by Kaplan. Even though this is the most expensive course we’ve suggested so far, we feel that the practical knowledge you’ll learn from their Career Launcher program would be worth the extra cost.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for Livestream Classes: Michigan Institute of Real Estate
Michigan Institute of Real Estate Offers:
- Prelicensing courses
- Broker prelicensing courses
- Continuing education
Michigan Institute of Real Estate has been educating Michigan real estate agents since 1985. They offer three different instructional methods that all cover the same 40 hours of material. Like the other schools in our buyer’s guide, Michigan Institute of Real Estate offers an online course that you can complete at your own pace, but they also offer a home study program for people who prefer printed materials instead of online instruction.
In addition to their unique home study course offering, Michigan Institute of Real Estate made our list because they provide live, online classes for people who want to listen to a live instructor from the comfort of their homes.
Michigan Institute of Real Estate Pricing
Michigan Institute of Real Estate offers three packages. Here’s the breakdown:
- Online Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course $295: This package includes narrated slides that can be accessed from a computer, laptop, or mobile device. It also includes a video cram course to help you study for the exam and a one-on-one coaching session.
- In-person or Virtual Classroom Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course $335: Attend the 40 hours of licensing courses in either an actual classroom or view it live, online from your computer at home. Receive a textbook, video cram course, a one-on-one coaching session, and the ability to retake any part of the course for up to a year with this package.
- Home Study Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course $349: If you don’t enjoy sitting in front of a computer for hours, you may prefer learning the materials through the home study course. This package includes a textbook, instructional CDs and DVDs, a video cram course, and a one-on-one coaching session.
(Michigan Institute of Real Estate prelicensing package pricing as of December 2021)
FAVORITE FEATURES: One of the most popular criticisms of online classes is that the material is too dull to get through on your own. If your eyes begin to glaze over when reading about the types of mortgages or real estate law, you may benefit from having a live instructor who has had lots of professional experiences.
Finding live, online classes is becoming difficult. That’s why we were happy to discover Michigan Institute of Real Estate. You still have the benefit of learning from home, but you’ll hear about real-life examples from an actual agent. Sometimes hearing examples and stories work as useful learning tools to help you understand complicated material.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: Users love the live, online classes offered by Michigan Institute of Real Estate. While we appreciate that the school offers the state-required instruction in several different formats, the online class is rather pricey.
BOTTOM LINE: Check out Michigan Institute of Real Estate. They are the only locally owned program on our list, and their live, online class format may appeal to your learning style.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for Continuing Education: The CE Shop
The CE Shop Offers:
- Prelicensing courses
- Exam prep
- Continuing education
It only makes sense that our best school for continuing education courses is The CE Shop. After all, continuing education is part of their name.
While The CE Shop also offers the 40 hours of prelicensing courses, we’d like to highlight the wide variety of classes they offer for the practicing real estate agent.
The CE Shop offers continuing education packages and individual courses as well. Even though we’re highlighting their continuing education courses, The CE Shop offers prelicensing course packages too.
|The CE Shop Pros||The CE Shop Cons|
The CE Shop Pricing
The CE Shop offers three prelicensing packages to choose from:
- Standard Package $249: You’ll receive 40 hours of prelicensing courses and unlimited practice exams with this least expensive package.
- Value Package $299: Students will receive everything from the standard package, plus a highly useful business building course.
- Premium Package $395: Purchase all of your real estate continuing education courses for the next four years with this package. You’ll receive everything from the previous package, plus 18 hours of continuing education classes.
(The CE Shop prelicensing package pricing as of December 2021)
FAVORITE FEATURES: When you take your prelicensing courses, you have no choice in what topics you cover. After you become a licensed real estate agent, you can choose some of your license renewal courses. The CE Shop offers a wide range of courses, including “Working With Real Estate Investors,” “Real Estate Auctions,” and “Going Green in Real Estate.”
ROOM TO IMPROVE: While most of the reviews are generally favorable, some complained about the test prep material. How this affects you will depend on how many extra exam resources you feel you’ll need when it comes time to prepare for the license exam.
BOTTOM LINE: There’s no risk for trying a course offered by The CE Shop. The company offers a money-back guarantee within 30 days of purchase if your class is less than 50% complete.
Try The CE Shop’s FREE 5-DAY TRIAL!
Michigan Online Real Estate Schools FAQs
Do you have more questions about Michigan real estate schools? We’ve got you covered with answers to our most frequently asked questions below. If there’s something we haven’t covered in this article, be sure to leave us your question in the comments section.
Can I get my Michigan real estate license online?
Yes, mostly. The longest part of the process to getting your real estate license is the prelicensing course. You can complete your prelicensing course online, either self-paced or through livestream classes. You will have to take the exam in person, but you can complete the application for your exam and for your license online.
How much does it cost to get my real estate license in Michigan?
It costs roughly $400 to get your real estate license in Michigan. This includes the cost of your prelicensing course and the exam fees. Your cost will vary depending on the school you choose to take your prelicensing course with.
The schools on our list cost between $180 and $300 for prelicensing courses. You will have to decide what kinds of features you need in your prelicense package, like extra exam prep, real estate math courses, or instructor support.
How long does it take to get my real estate license in Michigan?
You can get your Michigan real estate license in as little as a month, though most people take three to four months.
Scheduled livestream classes run full-time and you can complete your prelicensing course in a week with Real Estate Express. You will need to study for and take the exam. How long that takes you depends on how prepared you feel to take the license exam.
How hard is the Michigan real estate license exam?
You’ll need to answer 70% of the questions correctly to pass the Michigan real estate exam. Pass rates aren’t published by the licensing department, but many online schools publish the pass rates of their past students.
More Career Resources From The Close
There’s a lot to consider when choosing a Michigan real estate school. Hopefully, our buyer’s guide will help choose and start your real estate career on the right foot. We are here for you at every stage of your real estate career!
Continue the conversation with other agents across the country in our Facebook Mastermind Group. Join The Close Pro to level up your skills and subscribe to our newsletter to get our latest articles direct to your inbox, so you won’t miss the latest from the real estate pros here at The Close.