You’ve decided to take the plunge and start your career as a real estate agent in Michigan. Congratulations on your decision! Being a real estate agent allows you to have a flexible schedule and the ability to turn your hard work into a lucrative income.
Your first step to get started with your new career is to choose a Michigan real estate school where you can take your required 40 hours of prelicensing education. Let us help! We’ve analyzed all the options and are ready to provide you with an in-depth guide into what each online real estate school offers. Consider our recommendations and enroll in one today.
6 Best Online Michigan Real Estate Schools in 2021
|Online Real Estate School|
|Real Estate Express|
|Michigan Institute of Real Estate|
|The CE Shop|
Helpful Information to Know Before Enrolling in a Michigan Real Estate School
After taking your 40 hours of prelicensing courses, you must take and pass a state licensing exam. Most real estate licensing exams aren’t a walk in the park, and you may need additional test prep materials before sitting for the test. You’ll also need to renew your license every four years, which will require you to take an additional 18 hours of courses.
This means that you’ll need to find a real estate school for your prelicensing courses—one that will help you study for the exam, and one for your continuing education courses. Here are our recommendations.
Best Overall Online Michigan Real Estate School: Real Estate Express
Real Estate Express is the best choice for an online real estate school in Michigan for many reasons. The school is extremely affordable; you can get started in your new career for as little as $179 (and the packages are often on sale!).
The main reason we like Real Estate Express is its easy-to-follow format. The essential material is repeated often, so you’ve ample opportunities to learn it. If you have problems with a particular topic, you can email or call a state-approved instructor to receive further explanation on the content.
The affordability, easy-to-follow format, and instructor support make Real Estate Express our top pick. Let’s learn more about the four packages they offer so that you can sign up for one today.
Real Estate Express Pricing
Real Estate Express offers four prelicensing course packages.
- The Basics $179: This entry-level package is the perfect choice for someone who’s a disciplined self-starter or has some real estate experience.
- Exam Preparation Package $238: Students will receive the 40 hours of prelicensing content that comes with The Basics package. You’ll also receive 10 progress exams, five practice exams, and flashcards to help you study. This package’s Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee will allow you to receive a refund on the course’s cost if you don’t pass it the first time you take it.
- Exam Preparation Plus $305: You’ll receive everything in the previous two packages and have 40 hours per month of live access to state-approved instructors with Exam Prep Plus.
- Ultimate Learning Package $394: Students will receive everything in the previous three packages plus a one-year membership with McKissock, a professional development company. This membership will allow you to knock out your continuing education requirements. You’ll also receive a printed course textbook instead of the e-book provided in the other three packages.
Our Favorite Real Estate Express Feature: Easy-to-Follow Format
Our favorite feature of Real Estate Express is its easy-to-follow format. Since the company provides online real estate instruction for most of the states in the country, they have it down to a science. The course is comprehensive, but the material is presented so that even a real estate novice can understand it.
Where Real Estate Express Could Improve
Most users were happy with their experience with Real Estate Express, but it’s not the perfect choice for everyone. Real Estate Express may not be the best option if you prefer to learn by listening to an instructor. Some complained that the material is introduced on text-heavy slides that presented too much information at once.
If you prefer to learn by listening to an instructor, check out Michigan Institute of Real Estate. They offer live, online classes that are scheduled at different times throughout the day.
Try Real Estate Express
Real Estate Express is affordable, easy to navigate, and allows you to work through the material at your own pace. Sign up for one of their four packages today to get started on your new career.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for People on the Go: Aceable Agent
The main benefit of enrolling with Aceable Agent is that you don’t have to be tied to your laptop or desktop computer to get through the material. Aceable Agent’s Apple or Android app allows you to learn while you’re waiting in line at the grocery store. Once you return to your computer, you can continue with the material seamlessly.
Aceable Agent’s instructional material includes a summary at the end of each level so you can do a quick self-check to make sure you’ve retained the essential information. We also like their Ultimate Exam Prep Guide, which will prepare you for the state and national parts of the test. If you miss a question on the practice test, you’ll receive more instruction on that material so you won’t miss the question when it counts.
Like Real Estate Express, Aceable Agent feels pretty confident in their instructional materials, also offering a money-back guarantee if you don’t pass the test on your first attempt.
Aceable Agent Pricing
Aceable Agent only offers one online education package for Michigan. It often goes on sale, so you may get your 40 hours of prelicensing education for less than $200.
- Online Michigan Real Estate Course $194: Aceable Agent’s package includes the 40 hours of prelicensing instruction. It also includes full access to their mobile app, which allows you to switch back and forth between your computer and your phone. You’ll also receive the Ultimate Exam Prep Guide and seven days a week instructional support via email.
Our Favorite Aceable Agent Feature: Mobile Experience
You know how clunky it feels to visit a website from your phone that’s not mobile-friendly. That’s why Aceable Agent designed their program with an easy-to-use app. Switch back and forth from your laptop to your phone to get through all the course material, or you can choose not to use a computer at all.
Where Aceable Agent Could Improve
Once students become comfortable working within a specific company’s format, they often return to the same school for continuing education courses. Unfortunately, this isn’t an option for Michigan real estate agents. Currently, Aceable Agent only offers post-licensing courses for agents in Texas and New York. Even if you like Aceable Agent’s format, you’ll have to familiarize yourself with another school’s program to earn your continuing ed credits.
If you prefer a one-stop shop for your prelicensing and post-licensing courses, consider Kaplan.
Try Aceable Agent
Students are impressed with Aceable Agent’s easy-to-understand format and mobile app. If you want the flexibility to work through your prelicensing coursework at your own pace, consider trying Aceable Agent.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for Additional Exam Prep: Mbition
Mbition (previously OnCourse Learning) deserves to be commended for offering excellent exam prep materials.
One of the reasons we love Mbition’s National Master Exam Prep Package is that it keeps track of what types of questions you struggle with and uses that information to create a tailor-made study plan. This is an excellent use of technology because it individualizes your educational needs. Your study time will be spent more efficiently when you are able to focus on subjects that are difficult for you.
We’re also impressed with MathMaster. No matter how long it’s been since you’ve taken a math class, Mbition’s MathMaster will give you the confidence you need to pass the exam.
On top of these two great tools, Mbition’s top-tier exam prep package also includes flashcards, test-taking tips, and a course review of agency, contracts, finance, and law.
Mbition Exam Prep Pricing
- Michigan Real Estate Pre-Licensing Silver Solution $209: This package includes 40 hours of prelicensing education and the MathMaster program.
- Michigan Real Estate Pre-Licensing Gold Solution $269: Besides receiving the basic instruction and MathMaster program, you’ll also receive access to the National Real Estate Exam Prep program. You’ll feel more confident taking the exam after going through 1,000 real estate exam questions and the explanations for the answers.
- Michigan Real Estate Pre-Licensing Platinum Solution $329: Receive everything from the previous two packages as well as test prep material that will help you with the Michigan questions on the real estate exam.
Our Favorite Mbition Feature: Exam Prep
There’s a lot that we like about Mbition’s exam prep, but we especially like that the top two packages allow you to practice taking the exam in the same format as it will be presented to you on your testing day. This will enable you to practice your pacing, which may reduce some of your test-taking anxiety.
Where Mbition Could Improve
Even though Mbition’s test prep materials may reduce testing anxiety, we wish the middle-tier package would cover both the national and state questions on the exam. If you want to have access to the PSI practice tests, MathMaster program, flashcards, and state exam questions, you need to purchase the most expensive package.
If you’re dreading the real estate exam, purchase Mbition’s exam prep materials. They’ll give you the knowledge and confidence you need to pass the exam the first time you take it.
Best Online Michigan Real Estate School That Will Help You Jump-start Your Career: Kaplan
Kaplan has been helping students pass tests since 1938. Even though real estate has undoubtedly changed since then, the company has kept up with technology and offers a wide variety of online real estate courses.
We can say many good things about Kaplan, but we especially appreciate how committed they are to helping students succeed in their real estate career after passing the exam. Their Career Launcher Package is pricey, but it includes the 40 hours of prelicensing courses, state and national PSI test prep, and a live online course that provides practical information about running a real estate business.
This live streaming online course is called Real Estate Accelerator, and it was designed to help you succeed in your career. You’ll learn business and marketing strategies from some of the nation’s most successful real estate agents. Since the class is live online, you’ll be able to interact with your instructor to ask specific questions about growing your own business.
Even though Kaplan offers three prelicensing packages, we recommend the Career Launcher Package. Let’s learn about what each of the packages includes.
- Michigan Real Estate Fundamentals $179: This online course includes the 40 hours of instruction required by the state. It also includes unit exams to help you identify areas that need additional study.
- Michigan Real Estate Fundamentals with Master Exam Prep Package $199: Do you want to take a few practice exams before taking the test that counts? This Kaplan package includes the 40 hours of instruction, practice exams, instructor access via email, and a live online, interactive study group.
- Career Launcher Package $399: Besides receiving everything from the previous two packages, you’ll also receive an eight-hour intensive training course and eight weeks of professional coaching. You’ll not only learn how to pass the Michigan real estate exam, but you’ll also learn how to succeed in your career.
Our Favorite Kaplan Feature: Career Launcher Package
Most real estate companies do not cover the topics that will make you successful in your business. That’s why we love Kaplan’s Career Launcher. Instead of giving you an online slideshow that showcases successful business strategies, you’ll learn from real, live agents from the comfort of your home computer.
You’ll not only be able to learn from the seasoned instructors, but you’ll also be able to interact with the other students. Learn about the real estate industry in your area of Michigan by talking with people going through the same process as you.
Where Kaplan Could Improve
In the past, Kaplan was known for providing live classroom experiences for students studying real estate. While we’re sure it’s much more cost-effective to offer only online courses, we understand that some students need in-person interactions to learn.
If you want to attend a live class, consider enrolling in Michigan Institute of Real Estate.
Jump-start your career with the top-tier package offered by Kaplan. Even though this is the most expensive course we’ve suggested so far, we feel that the practical knowledge you’ll learn from their Career Launcher program would be worth the extra cost.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for Live, Online Instruction: Michigan Institute of Real Estate
Michigan Institute of Real Estate has been educating Michigan real estate agents since 1985. They offer three different instructional methods that all cover the same 40 hours of material. Like the other schools in our buyer’s guide, Michigan Institute of Real Estate offers an online course that you can complete at your own pace, but they also offer a home study program for people who prefer printed materials instead of online instruction.
In addition to their unique home study course offering, Michigan Institute of Real Estate made our list because they provide live, online classes for people who want to listen to a live instructor from the comfort of their homes.
Michigan Institute of Real Estate Pricing
Michigan Institute of Real Estate offers three packages. Here’s the breakdown:
- Online Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course $295: This package includes narrated slides that can be accessed from a computer, laptop, or mobile device. It also includes a video cram course to help you study for the exam and a one-on-one coaching session.
- In-person or Virtual Classroom Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course $335: Attend the 40 hours of licensing courses in either an actual classroom or view it live, online from your computer at home. Receive a textbook, video cram course, a one-on-one coaching session, and the ability to retake any part of the course for up to a year with this package.
- Home Study Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Course $349: If you don’t enjoy sitting in front of a computer for hours, you may prefer learning the materials through the home study course. This package includes a textbook, instructional CDs and DVDs, a video cram course, and a one-on-one coaching session.
Our Favorite Michigan Institute of Real Estate Feature: Live, Online Courses
One of the most popular criticisms of online classes is that the material is too dull to get through on your own. If your eyes begin to glaze over when reading about the types of mortgages or real estate law, you may benefit from having a live instructor who has had lots of professional experiences.
Finding live, online classes is becoming difficult. That’s why we were happy to discover Michigan Institute of Real Estate. You still have the benefit of learning from home, but you’ll hear about real-life examples from an actual agent. Sometimes hearing examples and stories work as useful learning tools to help you understand complicated material.
Where Michigan Institute of Real Estate Could Improve
Users love the live, online classes offered by Michigan Institute of Real Estate. While we appreciate that the school offers the state-required instruction in several different formats, the online class is rather pricey.
If you’d like a less expensive online course that includes test prep material, check out our top pick: Real Estate Express.
Try Michigan Institute of Real Estate
Check out Michigan Institute of Real Estate. They are the only locally owned program on our list, and their live, online class format may appeal to your learning style.
Best Michigan Real Estate School for Continuing Education Courses: The CE Shop
It only makes sense that our best school for continuing education courses is The CE Shop. After all, continuing education is part of their name.
While The CE Shop also offers the 40 hours of prelicensing courses, we’d like to highlight the wide variety of classes they offer for the practicing real estate agent.
The CE Shop offers continuing education packages and individual courses as well. Even though we’re highlighting their continuing education courses, The CE Shop offers prelicensing course packages too.
The CE Shop Pricing
- Standard Package $249: You’ll receive 40 hours of prelicensing courses and unlimited practice exams with this least expensive package.
- Value Package $299: Students will receive everything from the standard package as well as a business building course.
- Premium Package $395: Purchase all of your real estate continuing education courses for the next four years with this package. You’ll receive everything from the previous package, plus 18 hours of continuing education classes.
Our Favorite The CE Shop Feature: Interesting Continuing Education Topics
When you take your prelicensing courses, you have no choice in what topics you cover. After you become a licensed real estate agent, you can choose some of your license renewal courses. The CE Shop offers a wide range of courses, including “Working With Real Estate Investors,” “Real Estate Auctions,” and “Going Green in Real Estate.”
Where The CE Shop Could Improve
While most of the reviews are generally favorable, some complained about the test prep material. If you’re just starting your journey to become a real estate agent, you may consider purchasing exam prep material through Mbition to supplement what you learn from The CE Shop.
Try The CE Shop
There’s no risk for trying a course offered by The CE Shop. The company offers a money-back guarantee within 30 days of purchase if your class is less than 50% complete.
Other Resources From The Close
You may also be interested in checking out some of our other resources, including How to Get a Michigan Real Estate License in 6 Easy Steps.
Once you’ve earned your license, you may be wondering how you can become a successful agent by only working part-time. Learn how to keep your day job while growing your real estate career in How to Become a Successful Part-time Real Estate Agent.