Everything’s bigger in Texas—including your salary as a real estate agent. The first step to becoming a real estate agent in Texas is to take a 180-hour prelicensing course. Let us help you kickstart your new career by pinpointing the best real estate school in Texas to fit your lifestyle and learning needs.
We made sure to dig into every detail of the top online real estate schools in Texas so you don’t have to. We reviewed their online platforms, mobile user experience, class schedules, affordability, and more. Soon, you could be launching your own real estate career in Texas!
5 Best Real Estate Schools in Texas for 2022
|Our Top 5 Picks||Pricing From||Promo Codes|
|Best Overall: Real Estate Express||$549||TheClose25 - Save 25%|
|Best For Mobile: Aceable Agent||$525||Click our Aceable Agent link - Save 25%|
|Best for Career Advice: Kaplan||$389||KAPRE5 - Save 5%|
|Best for Career Advice: The CE Shop||$629||TheClose30 - Save 30%|
|Best for Versatility: Champions School of Real Estate||$1,110|
(Texas prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
Take Our Quiz. Find Your Real Estate School.
Real Estate Schools in Texas – Helpful Info
You’ll need the help of a quality Texas real estate school to become a real estate agent in the Lone Star State. Here’s more information about these types of classes offered by real estate schools in Texas. If you’re still not clear on the process of becoming a Texas real estate agent, check out our step-by-step guide.
How to Become a Real Estate Agent in Texas in 5 Easy Steps
Your career as a real estate agent in Texas begins with your 180-hour prelicensing course. You’ll have a variety of course formats to choose from, including online self-paced, scheduled online Livestream classes, and in-person classes.
Online self-paced classes will allow the greatest flexibility to accommodate your schedule. Meanwhile, scheduled Livestream and classroom courses provide structure. Our top pick for best overall school, Real Estate Express, offers packages for both self-paced and Livestream options so you can choose what’s best for you.
Exam Preparation Courses
How long has it been since you’ve had to take an important exam? For any test anxiety, consider investing in exam prep materials. Packages tend to include useful tools like flashcards to help you study, practice questions, simulated exams or videos that target important concepts.
Once licensed, you’ll have two years to complete 90-hour post-licensing Sales Apprentice Education (SAE) coursework plus eight hours of the Texas Real Estate Commission Legal Updates.
If you enjoyed the features your real estate school offered for your prelicensing courses, chances are you’ll appreciate their post-licensing offerings, too. Real Estate Express even offers your 90-hour post-licensing coursework as part of their prelicensing package.
Continuing Education Courses
Every two years after your first renewal, you’ll be required to complete 18 hours of continuing education (CE) courses to renew your license. Eight hours of the courses must cover the Texas Real Estate Commission Legal Updates, and the other 10 hours may be electives.
Now that you understand the types of Texas real estate classes you need to get licensed and stay licensed, let’s dive in to the best real estate schools in Texas
Best Overall Real Estate School in Texas: Real Estate Express
Real Estate Express Offers:
Real Estate Express is a powerhouse in online real estate education. They offer online prelicensing real estate classes nationwide, making them one of the most experienced providers out there. Their courses are affordable and expertly designed.
Their online platform is sleek, well-organized and easy to navigate. You’ll have no problem finding what you need to work through the course. Plus, if you find yourself in need of extra help, you can reach out to one of their instructors for clarification.
Real Estate Express Pros
Real Estate Express Cons
Real Estate Express Pricing
Real Estate Express offers four online self-paced prelicensing packages, and two Livestream course options.
- The Basics ($549): This package includes your prelicensing course, instructor support, plus useful flashcards, e-books, and online exam proctoring.
- Exam Preparation ($649): Includes all the benefits of The Basics package plus a Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee and exam prep featuring practice questions so you can ace the license exam.
- Exam Preparation Plus ($749): You’ll receive everything from the previous package, plus the required 90 hours of post-licensing (SAE) coursework, a Live Exam Crammer Webinar, and real estate dictionary.
- Ultimate Learning ($859): This feature-packed option includes everything in the above package, as well a printed textbook and a one-year professional development membership with real estate education provider McKissock.
- TX Livestream Full Days ($859): Ideal for you if you prefer a scheduled live class online. This package includes instructor support, printed textbooks, free online exam proctoring, exam prep and a Pass or Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee.
- Texas Livestream Evenings ($859): Enjoy the same features as the full day Livestream course, offered on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesday evenings from 6:00-9:00PM.
(Real Estate Express Texas prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: Real Estate Express is our top pick for its value. By purchasing their top-tier Ultimate Learning package, new agents will have access to the 90 additional hours of Sales Apprentice Education coursework that’s required to renew your license the first time.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: We’re so impressed with Real Estate Express that it’s difficult to find too much wrong with the program. However, if you’re worried that the lack of human interaction will cause your mind to wander, opt for their livestreaming classes instead of their self-paced online packages.
BOTTOM LINE: You’ll receive expertly designed instruction that holds your attention when you choose one of Real Estate Express’ affordable packages.
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Mobile Learning: Aceable Agent
Aceable Agent Offers:
Aceable Agent is our pick for anyone who wants to take their Texas real estate courses from their mobile device. The company was one of the first real estate schools to develop an app, so they’ve designed their platform with mobile compatibility in mind.
Students can seamlessly jump back and forth between devices when they purchase a package with Aceable Agent. We also like their Broker-Agent Matching Program, which helps you connect with a real estate broker in your area.
Aceable Agent Pros
Aceable Agent Cons
Aceable Agent Pricing
Aceable Agent offers three prelicensing packages for aspiring Texas real estate agents.
- Basic Package ($525): With this straightforward course, you’ll enjoy your prelicensing course with access to instructor support via email and “lite” exam prep and practice exam questions.
- Deluxe Package ($693): You’ll get everything in the previous package, plus access to 75 videos, 70 audio lessons, and deluxe exam prep materials.
- Premium Package ($871): Enjoy everything in the previous package, plus an hour of private tutoring with a real estate pro, live webinars 5x/week, and live Q&A sessions to tackle your questions.
(Aceable Agent prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: We love how easy it is to navigate Aceable Agent’s courses on a smartphone. Most students are balancing real estate courses with a job, family, or other commitments. With Aceable Agent, you’ll be able to zip through your courses on your lunch break or on the road.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: While you can complete Aceable Agent’s prelicensing course from anywhere, they don’t provide enough exam prep materials and practice tests for their students. For the best Texas real estate exam prep materials, look at the offerings from The CE Shop on this list.
BOTTOM LINE: Choose Aceable Agent’s clear, attractive platform for easy mobile use on the go.
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Career Advice: Kaplan
Kaplan offers a wide variety of instructional options, including home study, on-demand, or live online options. Besides offering prelicensing programs, Kaplan also offers Sales Apprentice Education (SAE) and continuing education (CE) packages. Since Kaplan has been around for a long time, you can rest easy knowing that you’ll receive a quality educational experience.
Kaplan Real Estate Education Pros
Kaplan Real Estate Education Cons
Kaplan Real Estate Pricing
Kaplan offers six prelicensing courses in Texas that vary by course format. They offer text-based home study, online self-paced, and scheduled Livestream packages for you to choose from.
- Home Study Solution ($389): Includes access to text-based lessons, a PDF textbook, online quizzes, virtual exam proctoring, and access to interactive study groups.
- Career Launcher Home Study Package ($589): You’ll get everything from the home study package, plus the Real Estate Accelerator 8-hour course, and personal coaching designed to help new agents.
- OnDemand Solution ($449): You’ll receive access to videos of instructors teaching the course material, a PDF textbook, online learning activities, quizzes, instructor support, and access to interactive study groups.
- Career Launcher OnDemand Solution ($649): You’ll get everything from the OnDemand package, plus the Real Estate Accelerator 8-hour course, and 8 weeks of coaching.
- Live Online Solution ($889): Your classes will be taught live online by licensed instructors. You’ll be able to ask questions and interact with teachers and students in real-time, and still get exam prep, and access to study groups.
- Career Launcher Live Online Solution ($649): You’ll get everything from the Live Online package, plus the Real Estate Accelerator 8-hour course, and 8 weeks of coaching.
(Kaplan Real Estate prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: We have to give props to the career launcher package additions. Kaplan wants to help you get started in your career, and the eight-hour course teaches you real-world skills you’d use consistently as an agent.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: We appreciate that Kaplan offers a variety of learning options for their real estate classes in Texas. However, you can’t easily switch to another instructional format. If you want to switch between live online and on-demand courses, opt for Champions School of Real Estate.
BOTTOM LINE: If you’re looking for a well-respected name in real estate education with a variety of packages, we recommend Kaplan. Upgrade your package to include the Career Launcher Program—you won’t be disappointed.
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Exam Prep: The CE Shop
The CE Shop Offers:
The CE Shop makes our list by providing top-notch education options across the span of your real estate career. The CE Shop has been educating real estate professionals nationwide and prides itself on its high pass rate and even higher student satisfaction rates.
In Texas, The CE Shop boasts a 69% license exam pass rate for sales agents, one of the highest across Texas real estate schools. Plus, their 96% student satisfaction rate means students gave The CE Shop five stars and would recommend it to others.
|The CE Shop Pros||The CE Shop Cons|
The CE Shop Pricing
The CE Shop offers three online self-paced prelicensing coursework packages in Texas.
- Standard Package ($629): Far from standard, this package comes with your prelicensing course, online exam proctoring, a Pass Guarantee, and Exam Prep Edge, The CE Shop’s top-tier exam prep packages you’re prepared for the license exam.
- Value Package ($669): On top of everything from the Standard Package, you’ll get Business Building Courses designed by real estate experts to help new agents from the ground up.
- Premium Package ($829): This ultimate package gives you everything in previous packages, as well as your 98-hour post-licensing course so you can hit the ground running for your first renewal.
(The CE Shop prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: We have two favorite features of the The CE Shop: their free trial and their value-packed standard package. The CE Shop is the only school on our list that lets you test drive your prelicense course with a free trial. And they’re the only school on our list that packs so many features in their most basic package.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: While The CE Shop offers access to instructor support by email, you won’t find more interactive instructor support in the form of webinars, study groups, or live Q&A sessions.
BOTTOM LINE: Try The CE Shop if you’re interested in a Texas real estate school with a long-standing reputation for excellence and value.
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Versatility: Champions School of Real Estate
Champions School of Real Estate Offers:
Champions School of Real Estate offers lots of versatility and many course format options for their real estate programs. They’re known for their knowledgeable instructors whose priority it is to ensure you leave your course confident with what you’ve learned.
Champions School of Real Estate Pros
Champions School of Real Estate Cons
Champions School of Real Estate Pricing
Champions School of Real Estate has four prelicensing options. They label their classes differently than the other best online real estate schools in Texas. Their two six-course licensing packages will provide the 180 hours of prelicensing education required by the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC).
- 6-Course Licensing Program ($1,110): Includes 180 hours of required prelicensing courses, an exam prep course, and a printed copy of a real estate textbook.
- 6-Course Licensing Program and Business Etiquette ($1,255): You’ll receive all the benefits of the previous course as well as a Business Etiquette course that teaches dining etiquette, cultural mannerisms, personality profiling, and organizational skills, dressing for success, and public speaking.
- 9-Course Licensing and Renewal Program ($1,685): Includes all the courses and test prep you need to get your Texas real estate license and renew your license the first time.
- 11-Course Licensing and Renewal Program + Success Tools ($1,944): Includes everything from the previous course as well as the 2-Day Business Etiquette Course, access to the “30 Days to Success Coaching” videos, and a book called “Successful Tendencies of Real Estate Champions.”
(Champions School of Real Estate prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: Our favorite feature of this online Texas real estate school is that you can choose from four course delivery methods or try them all. No other school on our list offers this kind of versatility. Course delivery methods include:
- Blended Classroom — a mix of on-campus classroom instruction and home study with textbooks. You can take in-person classes in Austin, Dallas/Plano, Fort Worth, Houston, or San Antonio.
- Virtual Classroom — a combo of instructor-led livestreaming and home study.
- Online-Interactive — a recent addition to their course delivery methods, this option includes video, modules, and exercises that you can access from a mobile device or any device with an internet connection.
- Online-Correspondence — a self-paced, online learning approach using PDF or hardcopy textbook. You’ll need to get online to take the quizzes and exam
ROOM TO IMPROVE: Versatility comes at a cost. The Champions programs are quite a bit more expensive than any other online real estate school in Texas that made our list. We found that Real Estate Express offers the most bang for your buck if you’re looking for value.
BOTTOM LINE: Champions School of Real Estate’s website has a ton of information to digest. Read about the various package options and discover when the nearest on-site class starts.
Real Estate School in Texas – FAQs
Got questions? We’ve got answers! Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about getting your license at a real estate school in Texas. If you have a question, let us know in the comment section below!
How much does it cost to get a real estate license in Texas?
It costs about $900 to get a real estate license in Texas. This buyer’s guide teaches you everything there is to know about online real estate schools in Texas; you’ll encounter additional costs apart from those for prelicensing classes. You’ll also need to pay to take the exam, in addition to a license fee and fingerprinting fee.
How long does it take to become a real estate agent in Texas?
It takes four to five months to earn a real estate license in Texas. The prelicensing requirements in Texas involves 180 class hours spread across six different courses. Devoting 40 hours a week to real estate classes, you’ll need more than a month to finish the coursework.
Once you have submitted your application to the state licensing department, you can use their Application Tracker Tool to see how you’re progressing in the approval process.
How much do real estate agents make in Texas?
Not only does working as a real estate agent offer a flexible schedule, but the average real estate agent in Texas makes $93,904 a year. Remember, this is based solely on commissions; you’ll have no salary or hourly wage.
Some new agents ease their way into their new careers by working in real estate part-time. Check out our guide on becoming a part-time real estate agent to see if starting slow is the right move for you.
How difficult is the Texas real estate exam?
The Texas real estate exam isn’t a walk in the park, so you’ll need to dedicate time and effort to prepare yourself for the license exam. According to the Texas Real Estate Commission, a little over 60% of test-takers pass the exam on the first try.
To help you feel confident walking into your license exam, consider investing in an exam prep package. The CE Shop’s exam prep edge uses adaptive features that will tailor your prep to the areas you need to study.
More Career Resources From The Close
In addition to helping you choose the best real estate school in Texas to meet your needs, we also provide a host of resources, strategies, and insights from real estate professionals for every stage of your career. Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss a single article from our team of real estate experts.
We also invite you to join our Facebook Mastermind Group and join The Close Pro. You can network with other real estate agents from across the country, join learning boot camps, and take advantage of our exclusive video training and must-have downloads. We want to help you thrive in our industry and in your new career!