Everything’s bigger in Texas—including your earning potential as a real estate agent. The first step to getting your real estate license in Texas is to take a 180-hour prelicensing course. Let us help you kick-start your new career by pinpointing the best real estate school in Texas to fit your lifestyle and learning needs.
We made sure to dig into every detail of the top online real estate schools in Texas so you don’t have to. We reviewed their online platforms, mobile user experience, class schedules, affordability, and more. So let’s get you started on the path to launching your real estate career in Texas!
5 Best Real Estate Schools in Texas for 2023
|Our Top 5 Picks||Pricing From||Promo Codes|
|Best Overall: Colibri Real Estate||$549||TheClose25 - Save 25%|
|Best for Mobile: Aceable Agent||$499||Click our Aceable Agent link - Save 25%|
|Best for Career Advice: Kaplan||$389||KAPRE5 - Save 5%|
|Best for Career Advice: The CE Shop||$629||TheClose30 - Save 30%|
|Best for Versatility: Champions School of Real Estate||$1,110|
(Texas prelicensing package prices as of December 2022)
Real Estate Schools in Texas – Helpful Info
Texas Real Estate Governing Body:
Texas Real Estate Commission
90 Hours Within 2 Years
Continuing Education Requirements:
18 Hours Every 2 Years
You’ll need the help of a quality Texas real estate school to become a real estate agent in the Lone Star State. Here’s more information about the types of classes offered by real estate schools in Texas. If you’re still not clear on the process of becoming a Texas real estate agent, check out our step-by-step guide.
Your career as a real estate agent in Texas begins with your 180-hour prelicensing course. You’ll have a variety of course formats to choose from, including online self-paced, scheduled online livestream classes, and in-person classes.
Online self-paced classes will allow the greatest flexibility to accommodate your schedule. Meanwhile, scheduled livestream and classroom courses provide structure. Our top pick for best overall school, Colibri Real Estate, offers packages for both self-paced and livestream options so you can choose what’s best for you.
Exam Preparation Courses
How long has it been since you’ve had to take an important exam? For any test anxiety, consider investing in exam prep materials. Packages tend to include useful tools like flashcards to help you study, practice questions, simulated exams or videos that target important concepts.
Our top pick of school for exam prep is The CE Shop because its Exam Prep Edge package uses adaptive features to tailor practice questions to your needs.
Once licensed, you’ll have two years to complete the 90-hour post-licensing Sales Apprentice Education (SAE) coursework plus eight hours of Texas Real Estate Commission Legal Updates.
If you enjoyed the features your real estate school offered in your prelicensing courses, chances are you’ll appreciate their post-licensing offerings, too. Colibri Real Estate even offers your 90-hour post-licensing coursework as part of its prelicensing package.
Continuing Education Courses
Every two years after your first renewal, you’ll be required to complete 18 hours of continuing education (CE) courses to renew your license. Eight hours of this must cover the Texas Real Estate Commission Legal Updates, and the other 10 hours are electives.
Now that you understand the types of Texas real estate classes you need to get and stay licensed, let’s dive in to the best real estate schools in Texas.
Best Overall Real Estate School in Texas: Colibri Real Estate
Colibri Real Estate Offers:
- Exam Prep
- Managing Broker Prelicensing
- Continuing Education
Their online platform is sleek, well-organized and easy to navigate. You’ll have no problem finding what you need to work through the course. Plus, if you find yourself in need of extra help, you can reach out to one of their instructors for clarification.
Colibri Real Estate Pros
Colibri Real Estate Cons
Colibri Real Estate Pricing
Colibri Real Estate offers four online self-paced prelicensing packages, and two Livestream course options.
- The Basics ($549): This package includes your prelicensing course, instructor support, plus useful flashcards, e-books, and online exam proctoring.
- Exam Preparation ($649): Includes all the benefits of The Basics package plus a Pass or Don’t Pay guarantee and exam prep featuring practice questions so you can ace the license exam.
- Exam Preparation Plus ($749): You’ll receive everything from the previous package, plus the required 90 hours of post-licensing (SAE) coursework, a Live Exam Crammer Webinar, and a real estate dictionary.
- Ultimate Learning ($859): This feature-packed option includes everything in the above package, as well as a printed textbook and a one-year membership to the company’s professional development program with real estate education provider McKissock.
- TX Livestream Full Days ($859): Ideal for you if you prefer a scheduled live class online. This package includes instructor support, printed textbooks, free online exam proctoring, exam prep and a Pass or Don’t Pay guarantee.
- Texas Livestream Evenings ($859): Enjoy the same features as the full-day livestream course, offered on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
(Colibri Real Estate Texas prelicensing package prices as of December 2022)
BEST FEATURE: Colibri Real Estate is our top pick for its value. By purchasing their top-tier Ultimate Learning package, new agents will have access to the 90 additional hours of SAE coursework that’s required to renew their licenses for the first time.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: We’re so impressed with Colibri Real Estate that it’s difficult to find too much wrong with the program. However, if you’re worried that the lack of human interaction will cause your mind to wander, opt for their livestreaming classes instead of their self-paced online packages.
BOTTOM LINE: You’ll receive expertly designed instruction that holds your attention when you choose one of Colibri Real Estate’s affordable packages.
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Mobile Learning: Aceable Agent
Aceable Agent Offers:
- Continuing Education
Aceable Agent is our pick for anyone who wants to take Texas real estate courses from their mobile device. The company was one of the first real estate schools to develop an app, so they’ve designed their platform with mobile compatibility in mind.
Students can seamlessly jump back and forth between devices when they purchase a package with Aceable Agent. We also like their Broker-Agent Matching Program, which helps you connect with a real estate broker in your area.
Aceable Agent Pros
Aceable Agent Cons
Aceable Agent Pricing
Aceable Agent offers three prelicensing packages for aspiring Texas real estate agents.
- Basic Package ($499): With this straightforward course, you’ll enjoy your prelicensing course with access to instructor support via email and “lite” exam prep and practice exam questions.
- Deluxe Package ($599): You’ll get everything in the previous package, plus access to 75 videos, 70 audio lessons, and more exam prep materials.
- Premium Package ($749): Enjoy everything in the previous package, plus an hour of private tutoring with a real estate pro, live webinars five times a week, and live Q&A sessions to tackle your questions.
(Aceable Agent prelicensing package prices as of December 2022)
BEST FEATURE: We love how easy it is to navigate Aceable Agent’s courses on a smartphone. Most students are balancing real estate courses with a job, family, or other commitments. With Aceable Agent, you’ll be able to zip through your courses on your lunch break.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: While you can complete Aceable Agent’s prelicensing course from anywhere, we feel they don’t provide enough exam prep materials and practice tests for their students. For the best Texas real estate exam prep materials, look at the offerings from The CE Shop on this list.
BOTTOM LINE: Choose Aceable Agent’s clear, attractive platform for easy mobile use on the go.
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Career Advice: Kaplan
- Exam Prep
- Managing Broker Prelicensing
- Continuing Education
Kaplan offers a wide variety of instructional options, including home study, on-demand, and live online options. Besides offering prelicensing programs, Kaplan also offers SAE and CE packages. Since Kaplan has been around for a long time, you can rest easy knowing that you’ll receive a quality educational experience. They also happen to offer the cheapest basic option of all the schools on our list.
Kaplan Real Estate Education Pros
Kaplan Real Estate Education Cons
Kaplan Real Estate Pricing
Kaplan offers six prelicensing courses in Texas that vary by format. They offer text-based home study, online self-paced learning, and scheduled livestream packages for you to choose from.
- Home Study Solution ($389): Includes access to text-based lessons, a PDF textbook, online quizzes, virtual exam proctoring, and access to interactive study groups.
- Career Launcher Home Study Package ($589): You’ll get everything from the home study package, plus the Real Estate Accelerator 8-hour course, and personal coaching designed to help new agents.
- OnDemand Solution ($449): You’ll receive access to videos of instructors teaching the course material, a PDF textbook, online learning activities, quizzes, instructor support, and access to interactive study groups.
- Career Launcher OnDemand Solution ($649): You’ll get everything from the OnDemand package, plus the Real Estate Accelerator 8-hour course, and eight weeks of coaching.
- Live Online Solution ($889): Your classes will be taught live online by licensed instructors. You’ll be able to ask questions and interact with teachers and students in real-time, and still get exam prep and access to study groups.
- Career Launcher Live Online Solution ($1,089): You’ll get everything from the Live Online package, plus the Real Estate Accelerator 8-hour course, and eight weeks of coaching.
(Kaplan Real Estate prelicensing package prices as of December 2022)
BEST FEATURE: We have to give props to the career launcher package additions. Kaplan wants to help you get started in your career, and the 8-hour course teaches you real-world skills you’d use consistently as an agent.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: We appreciate that Kaplan offers a variety of learning options for their real estate classes in Texas. However, you can’t easily switch to another instructional format. If you want to switch between live online and on-demand courses, opt for Champions School of Real Estate.
BOTTOM LINE: If you’re looking for a well-respected name in testing prep and education with a variety of packages, we recommend Kaplan. Upgrade your package to include the Career Launcher Program—you won’t be disappointed.
Can You Be a Part-time Real Estate Agent?
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Exam Prep:
The CE Shop
The CE Shop Offers:
- Exam Prep
- Managing Broker Prelicensing
- Continuing Education
The CE Shop makes our list by providing top-notch education options across the span of your real estate career. In Texas, The CE Shop boasts a 69% license exam pass rate for sales agents, one of the highest across real estate schools in the state. Plus, their 96% student satisfaction rate means most students give The CE Shop five stars and would recommend it to others.
|RealEstateU Pros||RealEstateU Cons|
The CE Shop Pricing
The CE Shop offers three online self-paced prelicensing coursework packages in Texas.
- Standard Package ($629): Far from standard, this package comes with your prelicensing course, online exam proctoring, a pass guarantee, and Exam Prep Edge to ensure you’re prepared for the license exam.
- Value Package ($669): On top of everything from the Standard Package, you’ll get business–building courses designed by real estate experts to help new agents succeed from the ground up.
- Premium Package ($1,029): This ultimate package gives you everything in previous packages, as well as your 90-hour post-licensing course so you can hit the ground running for your first renewal.
(The CE Shop prelicensing package prices as of December 2022)
BEST FEATURE: We have two favorite features of the The CE Shop: their free trial and their value-packed standard package. The CE Shop is the only school on our list that lets you test-drive your prelicense course with a free trial. And they’re the only school on our list that packs so many features in their most basic package.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: While The CE Shop offers access to instructor support by email, you won’t find other interactive features such as webinars, study groups, or live Q&A sessions.
BOTTOM LINE: Try The CE Shop if you’re interested in a Texas real estate school with a long-standing reputation for excellence and value.
Best Real Estate School in Texas for Versatility: Champions School of Real Estate
Champions School of Real Estate Offers:
- Exam Prep
- Continuing Education
Champions School of Real Estate offers lots of versatility and many course format options for its real estate programs. The company’s knowledgeable instructors state their priority is to ensure students leave their courses confident about what they’ve learned.
Champions School of Real Estate Pros
Champions School of Real Estate Cons
Champions School of Real Estate Pricing
Champions School of Real Estate has four prelicensing options. They label their classes differently than the other best online real estate schools in Texas. Their two six-course licensing packages will provide the 180 hours of prelicensing education required by the Texas Real Estate Commission.
- 6-Course Licensing Program ($1,110): Includes 180 hours of required prelicensing courses, an exam prep course, and a printed copy of a real estate textbook.
- 6-Course Licensing Program and Business Etiquette ($1,255): You’ll receive all the benefits of the previous course as well as a business prep course that teaches dining etiquette, cultural mannerisms, personality profiling, organizational skills, dressing for success, and public speaking.
- 9-Course Licensing and Renewal Program ($1,685): Includes all the courses and test prep you need to get your Texas real estate license and renew your license the first time.
- 11-Course Licensing and Renewal Program + Success Tools ($1,944): Includes everything from the previous course as well as the 2-Day Business Etiquette class, access to the 30 Days to Success coaching videos, and a book called “Successful Tendencies of Real Estate Champions.”
(Champions School of Real Estate prelicensing package prices as of December 2022)
BEST FEATURE: Our favorite feature of this online Texas real estate school is that you can choose from four course delivery methods or try them all. No other school on our list offers this kind of versatility. Course delivery methods include:
- Blended Classroom — a mix of on-campus classroom instruction and home study with textbooks. You can take in-person classes in Austin, Dallas/Plano, Fort Worth, Houston, or San Antonio.
- Virtual Classroom — a combo of instructor-led livestream classes and home study.
- Online-Interactive — a recent addition to their course delivery methods, this option includes video, modules, and exercises that you can access from any device with an internet connection.
- Online-Correspondence — a self-paced learning approach using PDF or hardcopy textbooks. You will need to get online to take the quizzes and exam.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: Versatility comes at a cost. The Champions programs are quite a bit more expensive than any other online real estate school in Texas that made our list.
BOTTOM LINE: Champions School of Real Estate’s website has a ton of information to digest, especially for those new to the business world.
Real Estate School in Texas FAQs
Got questions? We’ve got answers! Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about getting your license at a real estate school in Texas. If you have a question, let us know in the comment section below!
How much does it cost to get a real estate license in Texas?
It costs about $900 to get a real estate license in Texas. This buyer’s guide teaches you everything there is to know about online real estate schools in Texas; you’ll encounter additional costs apart from those for prelicensing classes. You’ll also need to pay to take the exam, in addition to a license fee and fingerprinting fee. Get the details on these additional costs in our article on how to get licensed in Texas.
How long does it take to become a real estate agent in Texas?
It takes four to five months to earn a real estate license in Texas. The prelicensing requirements in Texas involves 180 class hours spread across six different courses. Devoting 40 hours a week to real estate classes, you’ll need more than a month to finish the coursework.
Once you have submitted your application to the state licensing department, you can use their Application Tracker Tool to see how you’re progressing in the approval process.
How much do real estate agents make in Texas?
Not only does working as a real estate agent offer a flexible schedule, but the average real estate agent in Texas made $106,772 a year in 2022, according to Indeed. Remember, this is based solely on commissions; you’ll have no salary or hourly wage.
How difficult is the Texas real estate exam?
The Texas real estate exam isn’t a walk in the park, so you’ll need to dedicate time and effort to prepare yourself. According to the Texas Real Estate Commission, a little more than 60% of test-takers pass the exam on the first try.
To help you feel confident walking into your license exam, consider investing in an exam prep package. The CE Shop’s Exam Prep Edge uses adaptive features that will tailor its questions to the areas you need to study.
How many Realtors are there in Texas?
According to the National Association of Realtors’ October 2022 data, there are 153,475 Realtors in Texas. This is a very slight increase from the previous month, and about a 5% increase from October 2021. Texas has the third largest population of Realtors in the country, behind Florida and California.
What’s the average home price in Texas?
Texas home values are up 16% from last year, settling right in at $315,847, according to Zillow’s 2022 data. Dallas’ values are slightly higher, at $325,975. Houston’s are slightly lower, at $273,716, but are still up over 13% from last year.
Real Estate Broker vs Agent: A Head-to-Head Analysis
Bringing It All Together
In addition to helping you choose the best real estate school in Texas to meet your needs, we want to help you thrive in our industry and your new career! Have a question or thoughts on becoming an agent in Texas? Leave a comment below!