Becoming a real estate salesperson in Maryland is as easy as 1-2-3. After completing 60 hours of classes at a real estate school in Maryland, you’ll take the salesperson exam at a certified testing center. Once you pass the test, you’ll be qualified to join a brokerage where you can help clients buy and sell properties near Baltimore, Ocean City, or any other Maryland hot spot.
When choosing a real estate school in Maryland, the first thing you need to do is find a real estate school that works with your budget, learning style, and schedule. Since working with an online school is the most convenient option for most people, we’ve analyzed the best online schools that offer prelicensing courses for Maryland residents.
After reading this article, you’ll be prepared to take the first step of obtaining your Maryland real estate license. Are you ready to get started? Let’s go!
5 Best Real Estate Schools in Maryland 2021
|Online Real Estate School|
|Real Estate Express|
Affordable real estate courses
|The CE Shop|
|Academy of Real Estate|
|Long & Foster Institute of Real Estate|
Helpful Information to Know Before Choosing an Online Maryland Real Estate School
Becoming a Maryland real estate agent isn’t significantly expensive or time-consuming, but you’ll need the help of a quality real estate school to make your dream into a reality. Here’s how your online real estate school will assist you in the process.
- Prelicensing courses: Before you can take the Maryland salesperson exam and obtain your license, you need to complete 60 hours of prelicensing courses. The courses must be taken from a state-approved school.
- Exam prep: Passing your state licensing exam won’t be a walk in the park. Some of the prelicensing course packages that we’ll discuss in this article include access to test prep materials.
- Continuing education: We know that you’re focused on earning your initial real estate license, and thinking about the renewal process may seem silly to you right now. But within two years, you’ll need to take 15 hours of continuing education (CE) courses. Some of the packages we’ll highlight include those CE courses.
Now that you understand what you need to become licensed and stay licensed in Maryland, here are some online schools to consider.
Best Overall Real Estate School in Maryland: Real Estate Express
When you began your research on how to get your real estate license, you may have seen a website with a little purple bird show up on the top of your search results. This website belongs to Real Estate Express, and they are a big name in online real estate education.
Like The CE Shop, Real Estate Express receives rave reviews from its students. They work hard to present complicated material in a quick-to-understand format. Even though they’re a national company, you’ll be able to ask state-approved instructors questions about course content by email or phone. They also offer exam prep materials in three of their four packages.
Real Estate Express Pricing
Let’s learn more about Real Estate Express’ affordable packages. Even though the prices listed for each package may not look much different from the prices offered by other schools on this list, Real Estate Express’ packages are often on sale. Real Estate Express has affordable prices ranging from $199 to $424.
- The Basics $199: If you’ve got a real estate background or pride yourself on being a self-starter, you may only need to purchase Real Estate Express’ entry-level package. It includes the 60 hours of courses plus two real estate e-books.
- Exam Preparation $249: Most people have to study for the Maryland salesperson exam. This Real Estate Express package includes exam prep materials as well as a Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee.
- Exam Preparation Plus $324: The “Plus” that is part of this package allows you to access live instructors for 40 hours per month. You’ll be able to ask clarifying questions about difficult material from people in the business.
- Ultimate Learning $424: Much like the top-tier package with The CE Shop, the Ultimate Learning Package will give you a one-year membership to a professional development website. This membership will allow you to knock out your continuing education courses you’ll need to renew your license.
Our Favorite Real Estate Express Feature: Affordability
Real Estate Express offers a lot of bang for your buck. Most of their packages include state-specific instructor support, access to real estate e-books, career resources, and test prep materials. Don’t forget to look for a coupon code to use at checkout to save even more money.
Where Real Estate Express Could Improve
While Real Estate Express offers a fast-moving but thorough education, their test prep materials aren’t nearly as impressive as Mbition’s. Since you won’t be able to assist clients without passing the Maryland salesperson exam, invest in Mbition’s exam prep packages to supplement your study material.
Try Real Estate Express
For fast-moving, affordable real estate education, choose Real Estate Express. Enroll in one of their packages today.
Best Real Estate School in Maryland for Easy-to-Understand Content: The CE Shop
You’re correct in assuming that the “CE” in The CE Shop’s name stands for “continuing education.” Still, this online school also offers quality prelicensing courses for dozens of states, including Maryland. We love The CE Shop’s expertly designed materials and affordable options. That’s why we’re happy to name them the best overall online real estate school in Maryland.
The CE Shop boasts a higher-than-average success rate for both the national and state portions of the Maryland real estate exam. The curriculum offers interactive content that repeats material that’ll likely be on the exam, making even the most complicated information easy to digest and recall.
The CE Shop Pricing
The CE Shop offers four prelicensing packages for Maryland, ranging from $259 to $489. Even though the prices listed already are affordable, the packages often go on sale. Even the most basic package includes digital e-books, downloadable flashcards, career resources that’ll help you choose a brokerage, and a suggested study schedule.
- Courses Only $259: This entry-level package includes the 60 hours of prelicensing classes offered in a convenient, work-at-your-own-pace format.
- Standard Package $319: If you’re looking for a prelicensing package that includes state and national exam prep, this is it. The Standard Package also includes a Pass Guarantee. If you don’t pass the state licensing exam after using their exam prep material included in this package, the school will reimburse you the cost of the test.
- Value Package $359: The Value Package through The CE Shop includes everything in the Standard Package as well as access to business-building courses. You’ll learn what it takes to make money in real estate with these courses.
- Premium Package $489: It only makes sense that a business called The CE Shop would include continuing education courses in at least one of their prelicensing packages. Their Premium Package consists of the 15 hours of classes you’ll need to renew your certification.
Our Favorite The CE Shop Feature: Quality Content
It takes a large team of educational and technical experts to build a quality online educational program. The CE Shop specializes in online education, so you can be sure that the course will look modern and include a wide variety of interaction that will make the 60 hours of coursework fly by.
While some online schools present the material in a series of slides that you need to read, The CE Shop’s courses enable you to stay engaged with the material, offering feedback at the end of each step, such as true/false scenarios or term matching, all to make sure you understand the content before continuing with the next lesson.
Where The CE Shop Could Improve
We’ve no doubt that The CE Shop can prepare you for the Maryland salesperson exam. Regardless, this online school doesn’t give students access to real estate professionals in the area who can offer valuable, real-world advice.
Consider taking your prelicensing courses with Long & Foster Institute of Real Estate to be able to pick the brains of agents who have been successful in their careers.
Try The CE Shop
We know that you’ll love The CE Shop’s interactive content. Visit their website to choose which package works best for you.
Best Real Estate School in Maryland for Exam Prep: Mbition
You can’t work as a real estate agent until you pass the salesperson exam. After viewing the Maryland licensing board’s “Student Success Rates by Schools,” you’ll see how essential it is to study for the exam.
Mbition (previously OnCourse Learning) doesn’t offer prelicensing courses for Maryland, but they deserve a shoutout for providing quality test prep materials. You’ll be glad you spent the extra money on exam prep materials after you pass the Maryland salesperson test the first time you take it.
Mbition Exam Prep Pricing
Mbition offers two exam prep material packages for Maryland: one for $59 and one for $129. It’s important to remember that these prices do not include your prelicensing classes—just your exam prep materials.
- National Real Estate Exam Prep-PSI $59: PSI is a testing company that offers Maryland’s salesperson exam. When you purchase this package, you’ll receive access to hundreds of test questions. If you prefer, you can go through the items on a timed “testing mode,” which will allow you to practice your pacing.
- The National Master Exam Prep Package $129: This package includes the National Real Estate Exam Prep from the previous package. You’ll also receive flashcards, test-taking strategies, and a Pass the First Time Guarantee.
Our Favorite Mbition Feature: Exam Prep
While many test prep programs include access to hundreds of practice questions, Mbition’s program uses adaptive learning technology that keeps track of the areas you need to give extra attention to. The program’s algorithm will provide you with additional explanatory material on those subjects, making your studying time more efficient.
Where Mbition Could Improve
Unfortunately, Mbition’s test prep materials for Maryland only tests you on information found on the national part of the licensing exam. You’re on your own to study the state-specific material.
To learn more about real estate in Maryland, consider obtaining your education through a local school, such as Academy of Real Estate.
Pass your test the first time when you use Mbition’s exam materials. Since they offer a Pass the First Time Guarantee, you’ve nothing to lose.
Real Estate Schools in Maryland Worth an Honorable Mention
We work hard to find top-tier real estate education providers. While there isn’t enough information on the following schools’ websites to offer our full recommendation, they’re two local schools worth investigating.
The director of Academy of Real Estate has impressive credentials. They offer one online real estate course, which must be completed within 90 days of starting.
Here are some key details about Academy of Real Estate:
- The primary instructor has over 30 years of experience in the field
- The school has a high pass rate for the Maryland salesperson exam
- They offer a Maryland Real Estate Principles and Practice Online Pre-Licensing Course for $245
Long & Foster isn’t only a real estate school—it’s also a brokerage working out of Maryland. Make sure to ask them about their tuition reimbursement program. If you join the Long & Foster real estate team after earning your license, you may qualify to be reimbursed for the cost of their education program after closing your first sale.
Here are some key details about the Long & Foster Institute of Real Estate:
- They offer live streaming courses throughout the day and on weekends
- They provide local real estate connections
- They have two affordable packages for live, online streaming courses: Tuition Only for $129 and Tuition and Books for $199
The Close Is Your Go-to Source for Real Estate Advice
While this article helped you choose an online real estate school, you have other steps to complete before getting fully licensed. Learn about those steps in 4 Easy Steps to Getting a Maryland Real Estate License.
You can learn more about some of the real estate schools on our list with Best Online Real Estate Schools: Our 5 Top Picks for 2021.
There’s a lot to consider when becoming a real estate agent in Maryland, but The Close will provide quality resources every step of the way. Feel free to drop us a comment below and tell us about your experience pursuing a real estate license in the state of Maryland.