Earning your Massachusetts real estate license is a great career move. We want to help you get started by narrowing your search with our shortlist of the best Massachusetts real estate schools. You’ll need to take 40 hours of real estate classes and then pass the state exam to launch this exciting new career.
We picked our top 5 favorites based on their usability, quality of course materials, scheduling, pacing, pricing, and more. Let us help you find a Massachusetts real estate school that fits your learning style, lifestyle, and timeline in 2022.
|Our Top 5 Picks|
|Best Overall: Freedom Trail Realty School|
|Best All-in-One: The CE Shop|
|Best Course Design: Real Estate Express|
|Best Fast-Track School: Metropolitan School of Real Estate|
|Best For In-Person Classes: AREA Real Estate School|
(for test prep)
(Massachusetts prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
Massachusetts Real Estate Schools – Helpful Info
Becoming a real estate agent is a multistep process that begins with your prelicensing course from one of many approved Massachusetts real estate schools. Let’s take a look at the kinds of real estate programs they offer.
You must complete 40 hours of prelicensing courses from a state-approved real estate school before you can take the license exam. There are almost two dozen online schools available, and our research can help you sift through them to find the school that’s right for you.
You’ll be able to choose between taking your course online or in person. Some schools offer both self-paced online courses and schedule Livestream classes, too. You can expect prelicensing course packages to include features like exam prep, real estate e-books, and access to instructor support.
Our top pick for best overall school, Freedom Trail Realty School , offers several feature-packed options for your prelicensing course. Their expert instructors and top-notch course design are all part of packages that stay affordable, too.
Exam Preparation Courses
When it comes time for the license exam, you may want some extra help to ensure you feel confident on exam day. Investing in exam preparation tools can make a difference, even making sure you pass your exam on the first try.
Exam prep packages tend to include helpful tools like flashcards to help you study, practice questions, and simulated exams. Sometimes, they’ll be included in your prelicensing package, or they will be available for you to buy as standalone products.
Continuing Education Courses
Every two years, you’ll need to complete 12 hours of continuing education courses to renew your license. Take note of the features you enjoyed for your prelicensing course, because you may want to continue with the same real estate school for your CE courses.
The CE Shop, for instance, offers your 12-hour CE courses as part of their prelicensing package so you’re set for your first license renewal.
How to Get a Massachusetts Real Estate License in 4 Easy Steps
Best Overall Massachusetts Real Estate School: Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail Realty School’s program is highly flexible and lets students bounce back and forth between on-demand videos and Livestream classes. It offers the lowest-priced starter package of any of the schools that made our shortlist.
The company stands behind its service. While many schools offer to pay for your licensing exam if you don’t pass it the first time you take it, Freedom Trail Realty School will refund the cost of their program if you aren’t successful on the first try.
Freedom Trail Pros
Freedom Trail Cons
Freedom Trail Realty School Pricing
Freedom Trail Realty School offers four packages, all of which come with an e-book, unlimited on-demand access, and at least 25 hours of Livestream classes.
- Starter Package ($229): This is the lowest-priced package we found among the five Massachusetts real estate schools we researched. In addition to having access to on-demand classes and 25 hours of Livestream classes, you’ll also receive over 1,100 practice questions to review for the exam.
- Starter Live ($289): For $60 more, you can take all of your prelicensing classes live and online.
- Exam Edge ($359): This package includes everything in the previous one, an additional 600 practice questions, and the Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee. You’ll also receive access to archived live classes—a helpful feature that lets you revisit classes again and again.
- Realty Pro $499: If you think you’d benefit from all the features of the previous packages, plus three one-on-one tutoring sessions, this is the package for you.
(*Freedom Trail Realty School prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: If you’re a self-starter and highly motivated to begin working in the real estate industry, we recommend that you purchase the Starter Package with Freedom Trail Realty School. Not only is it highly affordable, but it’s also a local company that’ll assist you with job placement once you’re licensed.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: Freedom Trail Realty School’s Starter Package comes with over 1,100 questions, but sometimes “more” isn’t a good thing. If you have limited time to study, consider purchasing an exam prep package from The CE Shop that will narrow your focus on the specific areas where you need more help.
BOTTOM LINE: Freedom Trail Realty School offers flexible learning options. This flexibility, along with their job board, makes Freedom Trail Realty School an excellent choice for every student.
Best All-in-One Massachusetts Real Estate School: The CE Shop
We don’t mean to confuse you, as the “CE” in The CE Shop does stand for “continuing education.” Despite its name, The CE Shop is one of the best Massachusetts real estate schools to offer online prelicensing courses. It’s a one-stop-shop for newcomers to the real estate industry.
The CE Shop’s courses are well designed. Their well-crafted program prompts students to check their knowledge periodically before continuing to the next section of instruction. The CE Shop package will take care of all your real estate education needs for the first few years of your real estate career and beyond.
Try The CE Shop’s FREE 5-DAY TRIAL!
The CE Shop Pros
The CE Shop Cons
The CE Shop Pricing
The CE Shop offers four prelicensing course packages for Massachusetts. The prices listed are full price, but the packages are periodically offered at a discount. See our promo code below to save 30%.
- Courses Only ($269): You’ll get your prelicensing course, and access to webinars that cover exam topics. This package also includes digital flashcards, a study schedule, and career resources that help you determine your niche and ask the right questions during your interview with a brokerage.
- Standard Package ($329): You’ll receive everything in the previous package, plus state and national exam prep materials. This package also comes with a Pass Guarantee. If you don’t pass the Massachusetts exam the first time you take it, they’ll reimburse you the $54 exam fee.
- Value Package ($379): Enjoy everything from the Standard Package, plus Business Building Courses to deepen your knowledge about starting your new career from the ground up.
- Premium Package ($439): This top-tier package includes all of the features above, plus your 12-hour continuing education course so you’re ready to go when it comes time to renew your license.
(The CE Shop prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: Your time is valuable, especially if you’re still working your day job while trying to get your real estate career off the ground. To simplify your path, why not purchase your prelicensing classes, exam prep materials, continuing education courses, and business-building seminars all from one source? The CE Shop’s Premium Package is a one-stop-shop that gives you everything you need.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: As much as we like the all-in-one approach offered by The CE Shop, it’s sometimes helpful to make personal connections with local real estate agents. If you prefer that route, check out Metropolitan School of Real Estate or Freedom Trail Realty School instead.
BOTTOM LINE: The CE Shop offers you everything you need to get licensed and stay licensed in Massachusetts.
Best Massachusetts Real Estate School for Course Design: Real Estate Express
Real Estate Express is a powerhouse in real estate education, offering affordable real estate education across the country. An online career hub rounds out its comprehensive packages and vast expertise in the real estate education space.
Their courses are interactive, highly rated, and allow you to work at your own pace. They’ve perfected the online learning experience and now offer Livestream courses in nine states, including Massachusetts.
Real Estate Express Pros
Real Estate Express Cons
Real Estate Express Pricing
Real Estate Express offers six prelicensing packages in Massachusetts. You can complete four of the packages at your own pace, and the last two are livestreamed on specific dates.
- The Basics ($427): This package includes your 40-hour course, two e-books, and email or phone access to an instructor.
- Exam Preparation ($502): Enjoy all the features in the Basics Package, plus exam prep materials and a Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee.
- Exam Preparation Plus ($582): You’ll get everything from the previous package, as well as access to live Q&A sessions with qualified instructors.
- Ultimate Learning ($669): The Ultimate Learning Package will provide you with a one-year membership to a professional development website. This membership will allow you to take non-credit courses to help you generate leads, write listings that pop, and use social media to grow your business.
- MA Livestream ($669): Real Estate Express currently offers two Livestream real estate courses, one with daytime and the other with evening classes. Their classes come with exam prep materials, a printed course textbook, and a Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee.
(Real Estate Express prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: Their polished, professional courses present complex information so that it’s easy to understand. The course is easy to navigate and allows you to keep track of your progress.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: There are many benefits to working with a national real estate education company, and it’s hard to find fault with the variety and quality that Real Estate Express offers, but sometimes it helps to talk with local real estate agents. If you want to make connections in your local market, we suggest Freedom Trail Realty School.
BOTTOM LINE: Real Estate Express offers affordable, straightforward online real estate education with a wide variety of prelicensing course packages to suit your needs.
Best Massachusetts Real Estate School for Getting on the Fast-Track: Metropolitan School of Real Estate
The Metropolitan School of Real Estate founder discovered a passion for teaching when he mentored new agents who started working at his brokerage. Metropolitan School of Real Estate is our top pick school for whizzing through your course material quickly and efficiently.
Most real estate schools give you access to course materials for six months or a year. Armed with this knowledge, some students take a meandering approach to completing their education. Metropolitan School of Real Estate will get you through the required material in six non-consecutive days.
Metropolitan School of Real Estate Pricing
Metropolitan School of Real Estate offers only one package. However, students can select a time that fits their preferred schedules and pace. Some sessions meet one weekend a month for three months. Others allow you to complete all of the classes within a week.
- Real Estate License Course ($350): You’ll receive an online textbook, a PDF of the instructor’s presentation, study tips, and 12 hours of bonus videos. Their partner real estate brokerage will consider you for hire, and if you land a job with Metropolitan, you’ll earn full tuition reimbursement.
(Metropolitan School of Real Estate prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: Metropolitan offers an expedited path to completion. Metropolitan School of Real Estate courses are scheduled and designed to encourage students to get exam-ready in a short time. If weekdays don’t work for you, they offer weekend courses, as well.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: Metropolitan School of Real Estate isolates the tools they think work best to get you to the finish line quickly. That being said, you won’t find plenty of extra features or additional package options here.
BOTTOM LINE: With Metropolitan School of Real Estate, you could be well on your way to a new career in as little as a week with their fast-track prelicensing package.
Best Massachusetts Real Estate School for In-Person Classes:
AREA Massachusetts Real Estate School
AREA Massachusetts Real Estate School is the state’s largest and longest running local real estate school. They’ve been serving Massachusetts prospective real estate agents since they opened their doors in 1972.
AREA is proud of their dedicated, expert instructors who help students achieve pass rates on the license exam well above the state average every year. They make your class time valuable with in-depth instructor support and schedule classes to keep you on track.
|AREA Real Estate School Pros||AREA Real Estate School Cons|
AREA Real Estate School Pricing
AREA Real Estate School offers two classroom prelicensing courses and one online prelicensing package in Massachusetts.
- Online Prelicensing ($245): In this package, you’ll get half of the course in a self-paced format, and the other half via scheduled Livestream classes. You’ll also enjoy practice exams, oer 400 practice questions, access to on-demand course review videos, and textbook.
- In Person Weekdays ($395): Enjoy scheduled classroom instruction over two weeks from 9am-2pm Monday to Friday. Your course includes practice exams, oer 400 practice questions, access to on-demand course review videos, and textbook.
- In Person Weekends ($395): You’ll get all the features of the above package, but your course will be scheduled from 9am-7pm across two weekends.
(AREA Real Estate School prelicensing package prices as of April 2022)
BEST FEATURE: AREA Real Estate School’s dedication to providing you with quality instruction is unmatched. They pride themselves on being able to break down challenging content and ensuring you leave knowing your stuff. Plus, they’re always available for in-the-moment questions during lesson time.
ROOM TO IMPROVE: We’d like to see AREA Real Estate School provide more exam prep tools to help students study. While they do provide practice exams and questions, it would also be nice to see helpful material for people on the go, like digital flashcards.
BOTTOM LINE: If you prefer a scheduled in-person learning experience, there’s no better place than AREA Real Estate School to get started.
Massachusetts Real Estate Schools – FAQs
We’ve offered five great choices for Massachusetts real estate schools that will set you up for success on the state’s licensure exam and in your new career. We’ve included answers to some of the most frequently asked questions below, but if you have questions we haven’t covered, be sure to drop them in the comments section.
How do I get my real estate license in Massachusetts?
Getting your Massachusetts real estate license is a straightforward process. First, complete a 40-hour prelicensing course, then you’ll need to pass the license exam. After, complete your license application, and you’ll be ready to join a brokerage in Boston, Cambridge, or Martha’s Vineyard in no time!
How much does it cost to get a real estate license in Massachusetts?
It costs around $800 to get your real estate license in MA. About half of the cost will come from your 40-hour prelicensing course you’ll need to take from a real estate school. After, you’ll need to pay some fixed fees, including your license exam fee and real estate license application.
How long does it take to get a real estate license in Massachusetts?
It takes two to three months to get your real estate license in Massachusetts. Both Freedom Trail Realty School and Metropolitan School of Real Estate can get you through the material within a week. You could feasibly complete the 40-hour, at-your-own-pace online classes within five or six days as well.
How much does a real estate agent in Boston make?
As of 2022, real estate agents working in Boston earn $91,781 in commissions annually. The figure is a bit lower for salespeople working in the rest of the state. Remember that real estate is a commissioned-based career, so there is virtually no limit to your income.
More Career Resources From The Close
The market is booming, and it’s a great time to launch a career in real estate. We’re happy to share our expertise and research on the best Massachusetts real estate schools to help you choose one that’s right for you. Even if you’re not yet licensed, we invite you to join our Facebook Mastermind Group, where you can network with real estate agents from across the country.
Once licensed, subscribe to The Close Pro to take part in group learning boot camps and get exclusive video training and must-have downloads. And finally, subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss a single article from our team of real estate pros.